Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day Two: Giving Back

           Last night was one of those really great nights.  With the help of some of my close friends I was able to take one step closer to understanding myself, understanding my husband, and understanding the relationship that we have.  I feel truly blessed to have friends that will sit and listen to me blather on about an argument I had with my husband about a light switch.  I had lasted four hours, (the argument not the conversation with my friends) and it was so stupid.  I could see where I made mistakes and put my husband on the defensive and unfortunately I did that right away so not a good start for us.  My one friend, let’s call her J.B. understood my husband’s position and was able to explain it to me.  She pointed out that she would have done/said the same thing.  The whole conversation gave me clarity, but when I woke up this morning I was thinking, I hope I gave the same back to them.
            In any relationship I feel there needs to be an exchange.  Last night my friends helped me see things from a different perspective.  It’s my hope that I was able to reciprocate that.  I don’t want to be that crazy friend who is always sucking her friends dry, going over the same issues over and over again.  Number one I hope I can move on at some point through growing and learning, and number two I want to be a sounding board for me friends.  After all it’s not all about me.  One problem that I have is an inability to shut up sometimes.  This usually occurs when I am really excited or when I’m really pissed.  My mouth takes control.  There have been times when I am arguing with my husband and thinking to myself, why can’t I shut up?  So I hope that I shut up long enough to help my friends, to give them the tiny nudges that they are looking for to move forward in their growth.  If not, I give them permission to duct tape my mouth shut so they can get a word in edgewise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment