Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day Three: Home Finder

            I find the title of this little blurb amusing because it’s pretty close to the name of my landlord and they are the reason that we are now looking for a new place to live.  The Wednesday before Thanksgiving our fridge went out.  As soon as I figured that out, i.e. the next time I reached into the fridge, I called our landlord.  No answer.  It took us seven and a half days to get a fridge.  In that time neither the people from the emergency line nor our landlord ever called to apologize for our inconvenience.  I had called on Tuesday to ask if we would be receiving any compensation.  Now, I didn’t expect them to pay for all the food we lost, but the last time something like this happened to us they knocked a little off our rent.  It was a certain percentage per day.  The woman who answered the phone said she would have to talk with the manager and she would call me back.  Raise your hand if you’re surprised to hear they didn’t call me back.  Any who, I  had to go Thursday to pay my rent so I brought up the compensation.  The woman went, “Oooh, yeah that, I just talked with her this morning and she said no compensation.”  Then I get pissed.  I not so subtly asked when we would be able to turn our thirty days in, in the event that we decided to move.  She let me know that we could let the landlord’s know any time as long as we gave thirty days.  Fantastic.
            Now comes the slightly more complicated part.  As I was explaining this story to my friends, I mentioned that I had already been looking around on the internet.  I said I had found a really cute one that I would like to go look at.  My one friend said, “That’s good, but you don’t want to buy here do you?  I mean you don’t want to stick around this area.”  Damn.  She’s right.  In some ways Clarksville has become my home.  By saying some ways what I really mean is I’ve just been here so damn long that it’s become home.  I have some other plans rolling around in my brain and not many of them involve settling down in Clarksville TN for the rest of my life.  So that leaves me not sure what to do.  Finding another place to rent wouldn’t be hard, but that would mean we would need to come up with security deposit and all that good stuff.  I realize when you buy a house there’s closing costs, but last time we were able to roll those into our loan.  We have to stay somewhat close to Clarksville because of our jobs (it gave me a thrill just then to write our jobs, I have a job!)  Staying in this house is not a very feasible idea.  I decided to wait until after the holidays and then see where we’re at.  After all, “There’s no place like home!”

No comments:

Post a Comment