Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day Twenty-Seven: Acceptance

            Something I’ve noticed in life is that when I accept things as they are in my life, especially people, things go a whole lot smoother.  Yesterday at work one of the women there got a little bit of an attitude with me over what I considered to be nothing.  I didn’t take it to heart, but I did wonder about the change.  Before that moment she had been friendly and helpful.  I realized that the trail period was over.  The people in the office are reverting back to who they “really” are, their “normal” selves.  This was the woman’s true personality showing itself.  It made me uncomfortable because I hadn’t seen this aspect of her.  When I realized it, the situation became easy to accept, because that’s just who she is.  I think it’s important to note that I’m not talking about standing by and allowing people to treat you like a doormat or allow someone to hurt you in any way.  I am talking about those little things that I can’t change, such as this woman’s personality.  I can get all upset about the situation and take things personally or I can accept that this is how she is and understand that I have the power of perspective.  I am never going to be able to change her, but I can change the perspective in which I view her.  Getting upset only hurts me and wastes my time.  Now if she were truly out of line I would have to make the decision of how to approach that situation.  In any case, I’ve found that once I accept something or someone as they are and here’s the catch, continue to accept them as they are every day, it never gets to that out of line point.  Acceptance just makes everything a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment