Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day Sixteen: Who's Right?

            Have you ever been in a situation when you know you’re right, but another person is convinced that they’re right?  I had that happen to me that other day.  I was in the office doing and the woman that was training me was going over how to do a deposit.  Now, I admit that I ask a lot of questions and I second guess myself a lot, but I knew I hadn’t learned how to enter the information into the computer.  She asked me if I remembered how to do it and I replied that I hadn’t learned how yet.  She was convinced that she had taught me and I was equally convinced that she hadn’t, especially after she showed me how to do it.  She reminded me of the week before when she had shown me how to do the deposit.  I remembered learning the slip but not the computer portion.  I just knew I hadn’t.  We were both convinced that we were right and we were locked in our positions.  Finally, I just let it go and learned how to do what I needed to do.  I realized it didn’t matter who was right or wrong, it just mattered that I learned how to do my job.  People tend to get caught up in the right and wrong battles.  It causes an incredible amount of stress and anxiety.  In this case, I still believe that I was correct, but I decided that it was more important to learn than to be right.  Next time you find yourself in that right and wrong battle ask yourself, is it more important that I insist that I’m right or can I be secure with myself enough to accept the situation and move on?  I’m not talking about giving away your power or being a door mat.  I’m saying find out what’s really important in the situation and go forward from that perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment